Written by Kimberley Startup | September 7, 2012
As signs of job market revival emerge, small to medium sized businesses that were forced to lose employees during the downturn are now becoming responsible for many of the jobs being created these days.
Yet attracting people to your organisation whilst saving time and money is a key challenge for any hiring manager. Particularly as a small business, standing out amongst the sea of big named brands and large multi-nationals makes attracting star talent a particularly difficult task.
So what are the secrets of attracting and selecting the right people for your team? And how do you regain those vital skills whilst saving time and money?
Here are webrecruit’s 10 quick tips to help small to medium sized businesses looking to recruit.
1. Develop your company culture and make sure you’re an ‘employer of choice’
2. Clearly define the job role you’re looking to fill. Include responsibilities, experience and key attributes
3. Make sure you point out the opportunities for making a real impact on your business within your job advertisement
4. Ensure your hiring message reflects your culture and values
5. Simplify the CV sifting process by asking for a one page CV and five reasons why the applicant is perfect for the position
6. Invite candidates to interview sooner rather than later to ensure you don’t lose good applicants to other companies
8. Plan the interview with things you want to find out and include a mixture of question types
9. Invite key applicants to your office for a second interview and test the candidate’s attitude, skills and knowledge
10. If you’re not excited at the prospect of a candidate joining, don’t make the job offer
Hiring star talent is a critical activity for any organisation. At webrecruit, we understand that smaller companies can often find it hard to recruit. With less staff to manage the hiring process or restricted budgets, it can easily be a costly and time- consuming task.
But by following these 10 simple tips, we hope the challenge of finding and hiring the right person for the job has just a got a little easier.
If you are a small to medium sized business looking for additional assistance with your hiring process, webrecruit offers flexible and valuable add-ons to help enhance your recruitment strategy and attract quality professionals. For more information, contact the webrecruit team on 01392 829400 or click here for more information.